Canadian Study Permit for Students
Requirements for Canadian Study Permits for Students
If you intend to study in Canada and you are a foreign national, you will likely need a Study Permit. A Study Permit is a document issued by the Canadian Government which gives you permission to study in Canada for a temporary period. In most cases the Study Permit specifies the particular educational institution and course of study.
More than 130,000 students come to study in Canada every year and even more come to Canada to learn English or French.
Applying and qualifying for a Study Permit is not easy, however. Applications for Study Permits must be carefully prepared in order to obtain a successful outcome. At our law firm, we handle thousands of Study Permit applications with great success. We can help with your application as well.
Contact us for an assessment of your student permit application.
Canada Student Visa FAQ
Study Permits are temporary resident visas and as such you will be required to satisfy a visa officer when entering Canada that you will be studying in Canada only for a temporary period.
- Qualifying for a Study Permit
- How Long is a Study Permit Valid for?
- Can I work while on a Study Permit?
- Do I always need a Study permit to Study in Canada?
How Do I Qualify for a Study Permit?
There are a number of criteria that must be met to qualify for a Study Permit:
- You need an offer of acceptance from a qualified Canadian educational institution. The offer of acceptance must be in the form of a letter from the school
- You have to demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to pay the school’s tuition and for your general living expenses during your course of study up to one year. Generally, if your course of study is for one year, you should show that you have $10,000CDN plus tuition.
- You may have to undergo an immigration medial exam and if you normally require a visitor visa to Canada, you will have to be issued one in addition to your Study Permit. If you are from a visa exempt country, you do not have to apply for a visitor visa to study in Canada.
How Long is a Study Permit Valid for?
Generally, as long as your course of study.
Can I Work While on a Study Permit?
Yes. But only under limited circumstances such as:
- When your employment is on-campus;
- When the international student is the recipient of a scholarship;
- When the work has been certified as being an integral part of the program of study;
- When the work consists of academic research or a post-doctoral fellowship; and
- When the work takes place after graduation in a field related to the program of study.
- In addition, spouses of international students are eligible to work temporarily in Canada.
Do I always need a Study permit to Study in Canada?
No. You do not require a Study Permit when:
- You take a French or English language training course that is no more than three months in duration; or
- You are the spouse or dependent child of: a diplomatic or consular officer; a representative of a foreign country; or a representative of the United Nations or any other intergovernmental organization of which Canada is a member.
How can I get help with my Study Permit Application?
Our law firm can help with the study permit application process from start to finish. We have years of experience helping students make their dreams come true in Canada! Contact is for an assessment.