E2 Visa Applications

E-2 Visa Applications for Investment in the US

If you wish to work in the US by starting or investing in a US business, an E2 Visa may be an option for you. E Visas are US work visas for people working in the U.S. in trade or in investment . E Visas can only be issued to countries where there is a treaty with the foreign national’s country and the USA.

VisaPlace Legal Immigration Lawyers* can assist you with your application for your US Work Visa such as an E-2 Visa or E-1 Visa. We have over 15 years of experience with US work visas and we are here for you!

Two types of E visas applications

  • E-1 (trader)
  • E-2 (investor)

E-2 VISA : “Investing and Working in the USA”

E-2 visas US work visas and are for owners and investors in businesses in the United States. The E-2 is a non-immigrant us work visa that may be granted for “substantial” investments in the U.S. An investment must meet several criteria in order to qualify for an E-2 visa.

These are the basic conditions for qualifying for an E-2 Visa.

  • Showing that “substantial” investment or funds are available and committed to the investment;
  • The investment must be in an active business as opposed to passive investment such as purchasing a home;
  • At least 50% of the business must be owned by an alien from a country which has a treaty with the United States;
  • The investment must create enough profit to provide a living for more than just the alien and his/her family.

There is no minimum amount of investment necessary to obtain an E-2 visa, and whether an amount will be considered “substantial” depends on the type of business involved, the number of jobs created the alien’s personal assets, etc. In most cases, the investment should be at least $100,000USD but sometimes it may be less than this.

Employees of E-2 companies may be granted E-2 visas if they are or will be engaged in duties that are executive, managerial, or supervisory in nature. If employed in a minor capacity, the employee may be granted E-2 visa if he or she has special qualifications that make the services to be rendered essential to the enterprise.

The spouse and children (unmarried and under 21) of E-1 or E-2 visa holders are entitled to the same E-1 or E-2 classification as the principal.

Interested in applying for an E-2 Visa? Need More Information?

Call VisaPlace Legal Immigration Lawyers in Toronto and Hamilton at 416 410 7484 or contact us online.

E-1 “Treaty Trader” Visas

E-1 visas are for individuals involved in the exchange, purchase or sale of goods/services or merchandise. Services include technology transfer, architecture and engineering services, management consulting or accounting. The trade in goods and services should be substantial, as defined by the INS, in terms of value, volume or a large number of small transactions. The trade must also meet the following criteria:

  • The trade must be principally with the treaty country.
  • More than 50% of the total volume of international trade must be between the U.S. and the treaty country.
  • The amount of trade must be sufficient to ensure a continuous flow of international trade between the U.S. and the treaty country.
  • Trade can be binding contracts that call for the future exchange of items.
  • Income derived from the value of numerous transactions that is sufficient to support the trades and his/her family is a favourable factor.

Countries which have Signed Treaties for E-1 and / or E-2 Visas

  • Argentina
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Bosnia/Herzegovina
  • Canada
  • China(Taiwan)
  • Colombia
  • CostaRica
  • Croatia
  • Estonia
  • Ethiopia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Georgia
  • Germany
  • Honduras
  • Iran
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Jamaica
  • Japan
  • Korea Liberia
  • Luxembourg
  • Macedonia
  • Mexico
  • Moldova
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Oman
  • Pakistan
  • Paraguay
  • Philippines
  • SerbiaMontenegro
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Suriname
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Thailand
  • Togo
  • Turkey
  • United Kingdom

Treaties conferring only E-1 treaty-trader status exist with the following countries:

  • Bolivia
  • Brunei
  • Denmark
  • Greece
  • Israel
  • Latvia

Treaties conferring only E-2 treaty-investor status exist with the following countries:

  • Armenia
  • Bangladesh
  • Bulgaria
  • Cameroon
  • Congo
  • Czech Republic
  • Ecuador
  • Egypt
  • Grenada
  • Kazakhstan
  • Kyrgyzstan
  • Moldova
  • Mongolia
  • Morocco
  • Panama
  • Poland
  • Romania
  • Senegal
  • Slovak Republic
  • Sri Lanka
  • Trinidad&Tobago
  • Tunisia
  • Ukraine
  • Zaire

Do you need an E-2 Visa?

*Contact our US immigration law firm for an assessment of your E-2 visa application.  We are here to prepare your case for your US Business and visa.