TN Visas: Fast Track US Work Visas for Canadians
Are you Canadian and have a job offer in the US? You may be eligible for a TN Visa under the NAFTA agreement. The TN Visa application process is the fastest way to get a US Work Visa. What is involved is that you secure a US Job offer in writing, prepare your credentials and documentation and appear at a Canada/US border for your Visa assessment. The TN Visa Application process is indeed quick.
However, do not been fooled into thinking that it is easy get a TN Visa. Your documentation and information has to behandled perfectly otherwise you risk getting a TN Visa refusal. Further it is important to carefully select which border you go to for your TN Visa interview. Not all borders handle TN Visas the same way.
Let our immigration lawyers perform an detailed assessment of your TN Visa case. We have over 15 years of experience in handling US Work Visas and we can help you with your TN Visa Application.
TN Visas are Valid for up to Three Years
In October 2008, the Bureau of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services increased the initial maximum period of admission for TN Visas from one year to three years. Further, those that want to apply for extensions of their TN Visas can apply for a period of up to three years instead of the previous one year maximum.
In order to qualify for a TN visa, applicants must have a US job offer that is found on a list of occupations on the NAFTA list in Chapter 15, Schedule 2 of NAFTA. (See list below on this page.)
Advantages of TN Visas
The most attractive feature of TN Visas over other types of visas is that applicants can obtain TN Visas right at the a U.S./Canadian border or airport. Applicants are required to appear at the border with the necessary documentation. An immigration official will review the documentation and, if that officer is satisfied that the applicant qualifies for the TN Visa, the visa issued on the spot!
TAKE NOTE: Don’t be FOOLED into thinking TN Visas are EASY TO GET. Your Documentation has to be EXACTLY what visa officers are looking for or you will be REFUSED!
But what about TN Visa Kits?
TN visa kits and other “immigration kits” are becoming more and more popular it seems. The allure of a cheap and easy way to get a US Visa seems irresistible. But be careful what you wish for. As in life, there are no “short-cuts” to visa applications. Here is a link to more information about TN Visa Kits
Get it right the FIRST TIME !
What are the Requirements for TN Visas?
Under NAFTA, a Canadian Citizen who has a temporary offer of employment in the United States may qualify for a TN visa.
Only Canadian Citizens (and Mexicans) are eligible for a TN visa. Permanent residents or landed immigrants are not eligible.
TN Visa “Top 10 Tips”!
- US Job offer should be consistent with your Education
- US job offer should appear on the NAFTA LIST
- US job offer should not exceed three years
- US job offer letter should be properly formatted with all relevant information
- When you apply, READ and UNDERSTAND all your documentation
- Your resume should be well organized and complete
- Employment references should be consistent and relevant
- Bring a valid Canadian Passport for at least three years
- Foreign degrees and diplomas should be evaluated as equivalent to Canadian or US Standards
- Get your TN Documentation reviewed by an Immigration Professional
Documents Required for TN Visa
- Proof of Canadian Citizenship (Birth Certificate or Passport)
- Evidence that the intended employment/business activity and the applicant qualify under Chapter 15, Schedule 2 of NAFTA. This means that the applicant is required to provide:
- A temporary Offer of Employment from a prospective U.S. employer;
- Copies of relevant educational degrees, diplomas and certificates
- Letters of reference from previous or current employers confirming your experience in your occupation (if applicable)
Was your TN Visa Refused?
Don’t panic! There are options.
Call us for a consultation on your TN Visa Case.
TN Visa List of Occupations
Remember if your job is NOT on the list, you may still have options.
Appendix 1603D.1 to NAFTA (Occupation List)
Medical Professionals :
- Medical Laboratory Technologist
- Occupational Therapist
- Recreational Therapist
- Registered Nurse
- Animal Breeder
- Animal Scientist
- Dairy Scientist
- Plant Breeder
- Poultry Scientist
- Soil Scientist
- College Teacher
- Computer Systems Analyst
- Disaster Relief Insurance Adjuster
- Graphic Designer
- Hotel Manager
- Industrial Designer
- Interior Designer
- Land Surveyor
- Lawyer (including Quebec Notary)
- Management Consultant
- Mathematician / Statistician
- Range Manager / Conservationist
- Research Assistant (post-secondary)
- Scientific Technician / Technologist
- Technical Publications Writer
Need help with a TN Visa?
Contact our experienced immigration lawyers for an assessment of your TN Visa application today. We can help you get a Visa for your work in the US!